The journey from Marrakech to the village of Imlil, where the Kasbah is situated, is a drive of approximately 75 minutes. The Kasbah is then an uphill 15-minute walk or mule ride. Guests luggage is brought up to the Kasbah by mule. The Kasbah has a remote reception in the centre of Imlil village that is open from 09.00hrs to 17.00hrs. Guests should go the village reception where they will then be looked after. Outside of these hours, guests should call the Kasbah on 0524 485611 and arrangements will then be made for a member of staff to meet them in the car park.
Directions from Marrakech to Imlil and Kasbah du Toubkal
From Marrakech, take the R203 Marrakech to Asni road (this is the road that eventually goes to Taroudant via the Tizi n’Test pass). On arriving in Asni (approximately 45 minutes from Marrakech), take the first left after the village at the small roundabout and follow the road for 17 km to the village of Imlil. This road is tarmacked and can be driven by an ordinary car. In the centre of Imlil there is a car park on the left that can be used for the duration of a guest’s stay for a small fee.
About 20 metres up from the car park on the right hand side of the road is Kasbah du Toubkal’s village reception. This is open from 09.00hrs to 17.00hrs.
From Imlil to the Kasbah du Toubkal
From Imlil, leave the car park and follow the main street up and through the village. After the shops the road turns sharply left and then right. On the right-hand bend take the footpath off to the left. This climbs slowly at first, then more steeply through the walnut groves up to the Kasbah.
Private transfer organised by Kasbah du Toubkal
Kasbah du Toubkal can organise transfers between Marrakech and Imlil or vice-versa for 85 euro per trip. This is arranged with a driver who knows the route well. For transparency, the transport actually costs us between 50 and 60 euro. Street prices for this taxi journey (we are told) sometimes start at as little as 30 euro. When a guest makes a room reservations with Kasbah du Toubkal, they are sent a Transfer Request form if they would like the Kasbah to arrange their transfer. This form will also allow guests the opportunity to reserve transfers from other parts of Morocco. Onward transfers from the Kasbah and even tours around Morocco can also be arranged.
Guests can arrange for a shared taxi from Marrakech to Imlil. The price varies depending on one’s bargaining skills and how high demand is. A local might pay from 3 to 5 euro whilst a tourist probably more. Taxis are often waiting for hire in Imlil.
Directions to the Kasbah du Toubkal from Agadir
There are two choices. These will depend in part whether a guest likes driving on spectacular mountain roads or via less scenic but more direct autoroutes.
- The first route departs Agadir and heads towards Taroudant and then ascends towards the spectacular Tizi n’Test mountain pass, which is 2093 m (6866 ft) in altitude. After the col, the road descends to the village of Tin Mal, Ajoukak, Ouirgane and Asni. Just before arriving at Asni, there is a small roundabout where a turn right will lead to Imlil. If guests reach the village of Asni, they will have missed the turning. This is a spectacular drive on winding mountain roads that allows for the Tin Mal mosque to be visited, one of only two mosques in the whole of Morocco that can be visited by non-Muslims. This route has an approximate driving time of 6 hours. It is worth noting that after Taroudant there are very few places to stop and eat until Ouirgane.
- The second route uses the A7 expressway, which goes from Agadir all the way to Casablanca. This is a toll road and usually carries very little traffic. There are several Marrakech exits and the quickest is the Marrakech Palmeraie exit station (péage) as it avoids the new town of Tamansourt and some of the industrial areas north west of Marrakech. Once through Marrakech follow the instructions in the Directions from Marrakech to Imlil and Kasbah du Toubkal section above. There are several service stations on the expressway (Aire de repos) which have modern facilities. This route is much less interesting scenically and is approximately 5 to 6 hours’ driving time.
Directions to the Kasbah du Toubkal from Essaouira
Take the main highway from Essaouira to Chichaoua and then join the A7 expressway (toll road) towards Marrakech leaving via the Marrakech Palmeraie exit station (péage). Once through to the other side of the city, follow the instructions in the Directions from Marrakech to Imlil and Kasbah du Toubkal section above. This route scenically starts with rolling countryside covered by the indigenous Argan tree, but soon turns to a barren limestone plain that is very hot in summer months. It is approximately 4 hours’ driving time to the Kasbah.
Directions to the Kasbah du Toubkal from Casablanca
Take the A7 expressway (toll road) from Casablanca to Marrakech (approximately 2½ hours) and depart via the Marrakech Palmeraie exit station (péage). Once through the city, follow the instructions in the Directions from Marrakech to Imlil and Kasbah du Toubkal section above. It is approximately 5 hours’ driving time.
- Latitude and longitude: 31° 07’ 56.4” N, 7° 55’ 08.4” W
- Latitude and longitude decimal: 31.13232, -7.918997
- Altitude 1820 metres (5915 feet)