Bike ride (archived page)
8 - 11 APRIL 2004
AN INVITATION FROM THE KASBAH DU TOUBKAL
AND THE IMLIL VALLEY TO JOIN US FOR A MECHOUI* FESTIVAL
(see here for full document)
The year 2004 sees a number of landmarks for Discover Limited and its directors. Twenty-five years have passed since the company was founded, Mike McHugo started his passion for Morocco and he and Haj Maurice established their enduring friendship. The rest is well known to most of you but for new readers they have, with the able assistance of Chris McHugo and numerous others, restored The Kasbah du Toubkal to its former glory whilst managing to retain its specialness.
Along the way they have fought to protect the Imlil valley against marauding westerners, and the more negative effects of unsympathetic, rapid development. With an aphorism always at the ready as, after all, "dreams are only the plans of the reasonable", they tried to ensure that the area was not subjected to the monoculture that is modern tourism, but put time and effort into more sustainable projects that provide diverse employment. The aim was always to augment the quality of life whilst preserving the cultural heritage.
To this end, Discover will be holding a fund-raising event at The Kasbah du Toubkal. All facilities will be provided free of charge, in order that all funds go direct to the Village Association. Included in the following prices are transfers to and from Marrakech, all food and accommodation for the 3 nights, and guides for trekking whilst at the Kasbah. There are three options:
- Option 1 Berber salon communal accommodation - £250 per person
- Option 2 In a standard en suite room - £360 per person (based on 2 sharing)
- Option 3 In en suite deluxe room (bath, balcony etc) £430 per person (based on 2 sharing)
- Children between 5 and 15 years sharing adult rooms, 50% reduction. 4 years or less, free.
The itinerary is as follows:
- Day 1: 8th April - Arrive Marrakech and transfer to Kasbah
- Day 2: 9th April - Day relaxing and walking from the Kasbah (possible trek up Toubkal for those equipped and able)
- Day 3: 10th April - Mechoui* party to include local guests and friends from the Marrakech region.
- Day 4: 11th April - Return to Marrakech for flights or to continue your stay.
CHARITY BIKE RIDE
For further fund-raising, Mike McHugo will be cycling from The Eagles' Nest (southern France) to the Kashabh du Toubkal (High Atlas, Morocco) - a journey of some 1000 km. Sponsors are kindly asked to contact Mike or see this document for further information.
* A Mechoui is a traditional village feast that involved baking whole lambs in mud ovens. It is accompanied by a Halwash which is where young and old entertain each other with dancing, music, story telling, and so on. It is a sight to behold, and that the people of the Imlil Valley are holding it for us is a great honour.